Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Addition to Supreme Court Justice Oath of Office

On the 10/03/05 Sean Hannity radio show, Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) said that Harriet Miers can be counted on to be true to the oath she will take as a supreme court justice and not legislate from the bench.

According to Title 28, Chapter I, Part 453, of the United States Code, each Supreme Court Justice takes the following oath:

"I, [NAME], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as [TITLE] under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.''

I suppose Senator Cornyn will introduce a bill to add some words about not legislating from the bench to the oath for Justices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.