Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Abstinence Only Sex Education - An Oxymoron

"Abstinence-only sex education" is an oxymoron. If all that is taught in sex education is abstinence from sex where's the sex education? Admittedly, I don't have a clue as to what is taught in comprehensive sex education. I can only guess at the topics covered. My guesses would only take me as far as my direct and vicarious experience can take me. However, I am sure that quite a list of topics from arousal to zygote could be covered. And frankly, I never had any sex education, at least not in school. That topic just wasn't covered in Health class as far as I remember. I imagine I would have paid attention and, if it was interesting enough, at least I'd have a recollection of an instructional block called "sex education". I do recall learning about reasons for abstinence, i.e. beware of venereal disease; babies are caused by the joining of an egg and a sperm (Biology class!), so avoid doing anything that could cause a baby; and shotgun weddings are what happens to guys who get a gal pregnant, etc. but never about abstinence itself, except when my father told me to avoid sex before marriage, because I would have plenty of sex once I got married.

I think Obama is right about cutting Federal government funding of "abstinence-only" sex education. It doesn't prevent unplanned pregnancies any better than parental admonitions and exhortations do. Parents who want to teach their children to abstain from sex can do so now without Federal dollars. The only reason some parents want abstinence-only taught in school is to squelch the teaching of other topics dealing with sex. Please parents don't delude yourselves. Your children will learn about sex with or without covering the subject in health education. If you don't believe me, just ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.