Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Tax Increase on Fixed Income Retirees


Kansans for No Income Tax, an ad hoc political organization dedicated to eliminating Kansas' income tax, has flooded Johnson County with a mailer urging residents to ask State Senators to support the group’s goal. The advocates of no Kansas income taxes claim their cause will mean “more money in your pocket for Kansas taxpayers”. Really? I’m retired. Most of my income is exempt from Kansas income tax. After applying deductions to my taxable earnings, I pay little or no Kansas income tax. Without the income tax as one of three major sources of State revenue, the other two major sources, property taxes and sales taxes, will have to increase above what I pay now to fund State services. The truth is that “No Income Tax” will mean less money in my pocket. Not just seniors, but all Kansas taxpayers, should be cautious about buying this “No Income Tax” pig in a poke.